Orthodontics, Braces, and invisalign for Adults
Orthodontic treatment, which most people think of as just being metal braces, is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in three patients undergoing orthodontic treatment is over the age of 21. Many adults here in Longview, Marshall and Kilgore as well as across all of East Texas are choosing to receive orthodontic treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their oral health, and they want to feel better about their appearance.
Already had orthodontic treatment or braces as a child, but didn't wear your retainer? We have you covered!!
More often than not, the duration and cost of orthodontic treatment such as with braces and invisalign for an adult is LESS than the cost and length for a child, especially if you have already had orthodontic treatment when you were younger.
Common reasons why adults in East Texas are considering braces or invisalign:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain, or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
- Elimination of the appearance of spaces between the teeth where the gums have receeded.
Our orthodontic treatment options for adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving orthodontic treatment or even visiting the orthodontist. However, here at Mack and Hansen Orthodontics we offer a variety of styles of braces and appliances such as Invisalign that are comfortable, esthetic, and customized to meet your needs and lifestyle. Types of braces include:
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens, is that in younger patients the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our orthodontists also recognize that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. Dr. Mack and Dr. Hansen will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatment and that your specific needs and desires are met with understanding and respect.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it's needed can create long-term health issues leading to more complicated treatment in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of orthodontics as an adult and about your options, please contact our practice to schedule a complimentary consultation. While our office is located in Longview, we have patients who travel from as far as Marshall, Gilmer, and Mount Pleasant to see us for their orthodontic treatment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is convenient, and your treatment is as efficient as possible.