Orthodontics and Braces for Adults
Orthodontic treatment, which most people think of as just being metal braces, is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in three patients undergoing orthodontic treatment is over the age of 21. Many adults here in Longview, Kilgore, and Marshall as well as across all of East Texas are choosing to receive orthodontic treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their oral health, and they want to feel better about their appearance.
Already had orthodontic treatment as a child, but didn't wear your retainer? We have you covered!
More often than not, the duration and cost of orthodontic treatment for an adult is LESS than the cost and length for a child, especially if you have already had orthodontic treatment when you were younger.
Common reasons why adults in East Texas are considering braces or Invisalign:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain, or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Our treatment options for adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, here at Mack and Hansen Orthodontics we offer a variety of braces and appliances such as Invisalign that are comfortable, esthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
The main difference to remember when treating adults or children and teens, is that in younger patients the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
We also recognize that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. Our team at Mack and Hansen Orthodontics will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding and respect.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it's needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.